Friday, November 12, 2010

"That's what Christmas memories are made from, they're not planned, they're not scheduled, nobody puts them in their Blackberry, they just happen."

HOLIDAY FILM #2: Deck the Halls

Deck the Halls came out in 2006 and gained little attention.
Talent includes Danny DeVito, Matthew Broderick, and Kristin Chenoweth.

Perhaps it is my love for the holidays that creates my naivety in what makes a good film, but I love these crummy movies that come into theatres for Christmas. (I can hardly wait for Little Fockers... which seems to be the only crummy holiday film this year. sad day.) They are low budget and often times lame comedies that all of have same moral- "Christmas is about love... not stuff".
SUMMARY
While all the above negative aspects are indeed true, I just love these films, namely, this one. The films centers around two familes who are new next door neighbors. Buddy Hall (DeVit0) is tired of feeling invisble. After discovering his house was the only house on the block not visible by MyEarth (basically the way around calling it GOOGLEearth) he decides the ultimate Christmas display is the only way to get noticed.
His neighbor, Steve Finch (Broderick) has lived in the town for years and has Christmas down to a science. The same thing happens every year to make the "perfect Christmas". When Buddy's lights and unconventional Christmas ways take off, a comical rivalry is sparked between the two. All the while, the men's wives and children are growing quite a strong friendship. Eventually the two men's obsessions (one over the perfect display, one over driving the other crazy) cause them to lose sight of Christmas. Leave it to the rest of the families to leave Christmas eve and refocus the men's sights. Do they change and realize family is what Christmas is really about? Watch and find out. (hint: duh)

I love the decorations of the holidays so ny movie that focuses on that is a win to me.
Honestly, it's just a feel good movie. There is no scene that is the same so it hardly get's boring. It's nice a short! (I hate long movies... if it's 1hr and 30min in and you tell me I am only half way through....so help me)
This is also film prior to Kristin Chenoweth becoming a gimmick... so that is always nice.

It's a simple movie so I don't really have much to say other than this movie just makes me happy. If Bewitched was a Christmas movie... this would be it.

Andddd I own it from Blockbuster... as in we rented it... and we just didn't give it back. (Yes, we payed for it eventually. Don't worry)
Deck the Halls is just a nice easy to watch Christmas film.

No comments:

Post a Comment