Monday, June 18, 2012

My heart on the 24HRMusical #24HR2012

I've been meaning to write this for a while, but after some previous conversations in the past couple of days, I have finally mustered up the motivation to get it onto the metaphorical paper of the internet.

The "success" of last year's event wasn't because of me. It was because of the incredible people I was surrounded by and the name in which we gathered. The unity we achieved as members of the body of Christ led to the Lord using his people to achieve the impossible. I constantly use dollar amounts and numbers to explain how much the Lord took our simple aspirations and multiplied them. While we are thrilled to have achieved what we achieved last year, the success was so much more than the money we raised or people we brought it. I know that our team's heart was truly changed in ways we weren't expecting. I've been blessed to create with all of my team members before last year's event. However, I have never felt such fulfillment as what we felt as we spoke to our cast before the performance. We were all crying. We couldn't believe we "made it". Intermission brought a similar moment. But thinking back on it I know that we weren't feeling a sense of pride or achievement...
We were so honored.
We were honored to have been chosen to lead that cast and experience that process. It was crystal clear to us that the event wasn't about an awesome show, it was about the process of creating for a divine purpose.

That's what the 24 HR Musical is about. It's about the process of creating. It's about sacrificing every inch of yourself for your craft. It's about understanding that no matter how tired, or cranky, or frustrated, or flawed you are, you're art has a purpose. It's knowing that your time to create is so LIMITED that you can't afford but pour yourself into it. On top of that, this art that is so soaked in passion and love and sacrifice... it is going to be used to change the lives of other people. In our case, that is the gift of fresh drinking water, ultimately... the gift of life. I admire Living Water so much because they are giving people the chance at a future. They are giving people a chance to attend school all year so that they can pursue secondary education and go to college and get degrees and be considered professionals in their field and sacrifice every inch of themselves to do exactly what God has created them to do. Do you see this cycle we have the power to start?

The 24HRMusical isn't the only way to do this. If you don't feel called to join this process, that is okay. However, in discussing the event with people I get many people who say they would love to but "don't think they could do it." If you are in that boat, I just want to encourage you that you can't! (Crazy twist!) That's the beauty of this project. The 24 HR Musical is a show process done with a heart of worship. I truly believe that is what made it succeed last year and will make it succeed this year. If a little part of your heart feels a tug to join us on this, I urge you to take a leap of faith and trust that the Lord will sustain all of us and provide for all of us.

I want to leave all of you with a beautiful image from the Gospel of Matthew.  Jesus is walking back to Bethany with his disciples when he comes across a fig tree. Using only his words, he causes the tree to wither right before the disciples eyes. In Matthew 17:21-22 he says "Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and it will be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer."

We'd love for you to join us. Auditions close on June 21 at 11:59pm! Please feel free to contact me or any member of my team if you have questions. We would love to talk to you about it.

Be blessed,
Matthew Silar

No comments:

Post a Comment